Are you a new mom? Are you struggling to find time to take care of yourself let alone eat and shower when you need to? I know I am. I can barely keep up with eating enough to sustain myself while breastfeeding my son and now all my clothes are hanging off of me. Everyone says you need self care aka take a long bath, get a massage, do yoga, etc. Well those all sound wonderful and completely impossible as a mom. So here are my self care tips that every mom can do.
- Take three deep breaths before picking up your screaming child.
- As you fall asleep at night and your husband and baby are sleeping soundly, take a moment to meditate, picture yourself in your happy place- feel the sand between your toes, the sun beating on your face, hear the waves crashing on the shore.
- Put your kid in a lounger pillow on the bathroom floor and take a shower and enjoy it!
- Eat a piece of chocolate and let it linger on your tongue until it completely melts on its own. Savor that taste and that moment like it’s a secret only you know about.
- Every time you pass by a mirror whisper sweet nothings to yourself like you are rocking it mom, you are amazing, you’re enough, you got this hot mama.
- Next time you drive your child somewhere blast your favorite song and belt it out at the top of your lungs.
- Find moms you jive with and meet up once a week for coffee, lunch, or drinks with the babies and vent as needed.
- Make your partner watch your child and go out and just sit in silence somewhere. Enjoy a quiet cup of coffee at your favorite cafe, get a pedicure, sit on a park bench, just be alone with your thoughts.
- Go for walks around your neighborhood pushing baby in the stroller. Stretch those legs, get fresh air, chat with neighbors.
- Know that you are enough! You are doing your best and you need to fill your cup up before you can fill anyone else’s.
Stay sane! Love yourself! And find peace where you can! You got this.